Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Garden Carts Rock!

Last fall, I whined about my wheelbarrow. It is too unstable to maneuver with a full load and the darn nuts and bolts keep coming loose. At my readers’ suggestion, I tightened all the hardware down and applied Loctite. I used the red formula, which supposedly seals the hardware together for all eternity. It lasted through the fall and early spring before I noticed that I was, once again, missing nuts and bolts. Still, I limped along with the crippled wheelbarrow. While I couldn’t use it to carry loads, I still used the barrow as a large mixing bowl for amending my soil. It squeaked and shook as I broke apart clay chunks, but didn’t collapse altogether. I figured that I could make it work until my birthday (November) when hoped for a garden cart from Mike.

My birthday came early when Mike helped me with the planting this weekend. After I told him that he’d have to carry the stripped sod to the compost pile by the bucket-full (because the wheelbarrow just wouldn’t make it), he cried “bullshit” and took me to Home Depot to get a garden cart.

Our new Rubbermaid garden cart is a single piece of molded plastic – no separate components to fall apart! It has two wheels, instead of a wheelbarrow’s single, so it is unlikely to tip over. Growing up on a hobby farm, Mike had a similar cart, in which he claims to have transported endless loads of pig poop. Although he’s never seen anyone hoe like me (I now use the cart as my chopping and mixing bowl), he is pretty sure that the thick plastic will hold up against even my abuse. The cart’s best feature is that it holds 300 lbs. Now Mike can give me and the cats and a load of dirt a ride around the yard.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. Not fair. Not fair at all.

I went to Home Depot Saturday morning and all I got was compost/manure, two mums, stain and poly. I want a garden cart!!

Would it be immature of me to stick my tongue out? Whoops, too late.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Ohhh, I want one, esp if it's narrow enough to go through my little backyard gate. Must visit the Rubbermaid site and get the specs... Congrats on your new baby!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

I want one, too!

It never fails, if a man has to do the work, he make sure he has the best tools! LOL

3:16 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I have one that is falling apart I use it so much (actually it has some cracks near the handle and top of the tub part). Much, much more gardener friendly!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Lovely cart. You just can't garden without a good cart! Just can't!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Christine Boles said...

Wow! I've sure got that one on my Santa list!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you get any kickbacks for the Rubbermaid garden cart endorsements? Seriously, what a super piece of garden equipment! These carts just set gardening ahead 200 years!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

ha ha ha, I WISH I got a kickback!

By the end of the season, this thing had really taken a beating. I've gouged the plastic with my hoe countless times, but it's holding up well so far!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband came home with one of these more than a dozen years ago for me. He said when he saw it that he knew it was made just for me. I've rarely (if ever) seen anyone with one of these carts. This is most likely the most often used piece of yard equipment I have, even more than the mower! I love my cart.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home