Thursday, September 15, 2005

Cat Crops

I’m no farmer. I don’t even grow vegetables. However, I do grow cat crops – not cash crops, but cat crops.

I have a large, square, green pot devoted to kitty treats. In the summer, it hosts catnip. My cats adore the stuff. The mint responds well to pinching, so I often bring an entire sprig into the house. I tear a few leaves off to rub on the scratching posts and a few to feed Mr. Tibbs. (He seems to have an unlimited capacity for consuming catnip leaves.) I usually leave the remainder of the sprig on the floor, where Zoro can bat at it and Mimi can grind it into the wood with the side of her face. I will try cutting and drying the catnip shortly before the first frost.

The same pot will host multiple crops of wheatgrass over the winter. I bought ten pounds of organic wheatgrass seed last year. Every six to eight weeks, I’ll soak about 1/4 cup of seed overnight and then plant it in the pot. It germinates almost immediately. I have to keep the pot out of reach until the roots have established themselves or else Cleo will pull out the shoot, seed, and accompanying dirt in her eagerness for the treat. Once the grass is established, she does a good job of trimming the “lawn.” Mimi wasn’t interested in the grass last winter, but developed a taste for fresh shoots this summer. I’m sure Zoro and Tibbs will also be partaking.

The pot was $20 and I feel like I am forever buying potting soil, but it is all worth it to know that I’m treating my kitties to nutritious, organic greens.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I have a very sad, catnip plant that I've neglected to pinch back, so I just started breaking off whole 2-3 sections and tossing them on the floor for hours of kitty fun. The wheat grass is like a miracle plant, it grows so fast! I hid a pot in the bathroom with no windows with the intention of putting it outside the next day and it still grew in the dark. My kitties will also rip seeds and soil out. Do you buy organic soil? I bought a small bag a few years ago and just keep reusing it. Stuff still grows vigorously. I find it safer to keep the catnip outdoors. I came home once to find the jumbo size plastic bag of cat nip ripped to shreds and dispersed throughout the entire downstairs. A similar thing happened to some bages, and I only have one carb loving kitty so I know who the culprit is! Kim

2:50 PM  
Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

I didn't know cats love wheat grass too! I'll have to give growing it a try. My cats love catnip, especially when it's fresh.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Do your cats get sick if they eat too much?

7:56 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

They do get sick if they eat too much. They tend to overindulge right after a "crop" is ready. Then I find puddles of green barf. Thank goodness we have hardwood floors!

5:14 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

A pot! Duh, why didn't I think of that? I have given up growing catnip in my garden because my neighbor's cat rolls in it and destroys it. My own kitty is indoors only. Maybe I will try growing some in a pot for him instead of directly in the garden.

10:45 PM  
Blogger K said...

I had a little catnip plant that my kitties loved. Sadly, they loved it a little TOO much, and it is no more. I'll know next time to keep it out of reach - if there is such a thing. Darling pics of your kitties, by the way!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home