Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Green Dining Room?

My dining room walls are apricot. It isn’t a bad color…but it doesn’t mesh well with my things. As if I don’t have enough projects on my plate, I am considering painting the dining room. The question is: what color?

Currently, the dining room is filled with brown furnishings and accessories, with a few red items thrown in. I love the idea of a red dining room. A deep rich red appeals to my dramatic side. Red is supposed to stimulate the appetite and warm a room. However, I am afraid to use red on the walls because it will inevitably clash with my red accessories, which vary from tomato red to magenta.

Taupe is a nice neutral, but with brown floors, brown furnishings, and brown crystals in the chandelier, it would be a little too neutral. Brown, brown everywhere is boring and dark.

I thought a medium, sage green on the walls would be nice because it would coordinate with the brown and make the red accents “pop.” I can tie it into the current set-up with the bits of green in the future roman shades and plants. (I plan on replacing the bamboo shelf in the corner with a tall palm.) The green would nicely frame the view of our usually, very green backyard. Green supposedly makes the walls recede and a room look larger.

I have a few reservations about green, though. First, I am afraid that, if red stimulates the appetite, then its opposite, green, turns one’s stomach. If we were dieting, this could be advantageous. I am also worried that green walls and red accents will look too "Christmasy.” Finally, I’m worried that green will look as awkward as the current apricot.

Any suggestions or comments?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just thought I should let you know that I'm not going to read your blog anymore due to the fact that you STILL have better taste then me and all your furniture NOT ONLY MATCHES but is soooo grown up.

*sigh* before I go though I'm going to get that hummus recipe. *Overly Dramatic Exit*

2:53 PM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Its not easy being green.

I say go for it. I highly doubt your a green like the one you listed in the picture will elicit feelings of christmas. Makes me think guacamole... hmmm, humus sounds good too....

8:28 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

SD - Ick, guacamole covered walls sounds gross (although I like guacamole). I like the term "sage" green or "soft spring" green.
Brit - It's much easier to get a grown-up, coordinated look when you have no children and buy all of your furniture in a 2-year period. BRW, I think your house is WAY cooler than mine....even with the spiral stairs of death.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Guacamole covered walls makes me think of the flavored wallpaper in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I guess mexican food flavored walls probably got voted down in favor of cherry and banana, but for some reason I find the idea appealing.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

Well, then, after they're painted, you can visit and lick the walls!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanx for posting pics of your roman shades! i want something that offers a little trim but can be mostly out of the way, yet still covers the window... like, pretty, and all or nothing. your pics clinched the roman shades for me. gracias.
jp

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good; I saw this site with some useful info on Dining India. Hope it helps...

3:26 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home