Friday, October 08, 2004

Playing House

Most little girls play house and dolls. These were the game of choice with my sisters and my friends. Unfortunately, I never really liked playing either game. I liked playing “make house.” I enjoyed constructing walls out of couch cushions and beds out of baby blankets. I set up my bookshelf as a 4-story Barbie mansion, complete with ashtrays and credit cards. I spent hours inventing new home designs with Legos. When it was time to “play,” I didn’t want to participate - unless I could be the pet dog that peed on everyone or play prostitute Barbies.

So now I’ve graduated to real estate (but no doll/baby) and I still prefer to “make house.” The game has nothing on the real thing. Instead of couch cushions and baby blankets, I have walls to paint and bedding to make. I can set up my “mansion” any way I please (without the ashtrays). I will be entertained for quite awhile with the 36 projects I have lined up.

So, when it is all finished, will I lose interest and be driven to standing on a street corner urinating on passers-by? I only hope the projects never end…


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home